Hide and Seek: The Illustrations of Jesus
the illustrations of jesus • Week one • June 7, 2020
Matthew 13:34-35 NIV— “Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet: “I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”
Matthew 13:44-46 NIV
The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.
Romans 14:17 NIV — “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,”
Four stages of spiritual growth :
- Love of ourself for the sake of ourself.
- Love of God for the sake of ourself.
- Love of God for the sake of God.
- Love of ourself for the sake of God.
Genesis 1:26-27, 31 NIV — “Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.”
3. HIDDEN TREASURE
Luke 19:10 ⏤ The Son of Man has come to seek and save the lost.
Luke 1:68 NIV ⏤ “Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come to his people and redeemed them.”
Pray this daily - “God, would you help me to see myself as you see me and help me see others as you see them too.”
Quarantine Gratitude Challenge:
Daily, write down one specific reason to be grateful and post it daily, use hashtag "#QuarantineGratitudeChallenge"
Today's Worship Set:
Connect Group Questions!
Hide & Seek.
Jesus told many stories or illustrations, called parables, designed to help us understand what God’s Kingdom is like. Like the child’s game, “Hide ‘N Seek”, joy and delight come when we find what (or who) was hiding. Today as we look at one parable of Jesus, we will discover when it comes to God, we often get it wrong; thinking God is hiding and we have to find Him. It’s actually, the other way around.
Connect IN Conversation. [Conversation starters for your group.]
- Which is more fun as a kid, Hide & Seek or Tag?
- Do you like riddles? What is your favorite riddle?
Connect to the Word and Others. [Read it, talk it out, & be open.]
- Read Matthew 13:44-46. What stands out to you in this parable?
- Why do we tend to view ourselves as the merchant or the man in these illustrations rather than the pearl or the treasure?
- Do you think of God’s love as something you need to earn or as something God has already given to you apart from anything you have done? Why?
- Of the four stages of spiritual development that were shared in the sermon, where do you see yourself currently? Why?
- Did this sermon raise any questions for you?
- What is something from this message that resonated the most with you? Explain why.
Connect to Life. [Pick one of the following to do this week.]
- Go back reread the scriptures & chapters Pastor used in this week's sermon.
- Pray every day this week: God, would you help me to see myself as you see me and to see others as you see them too.”
- Register to be water baptized.
- Join our Bible Reading Plan ⏤ Journey through the Gospels.
*SMILE! Pictures will be taken during our gatherings. Your attendance in the sanctuary give us permission to use your likeness in promotional media. Feel free to email us if you have questions.