1 Corinthians 1
1 Corinthians 1 // june 06, 2021
Today’s Corporate Reading: 1 Corinthians 1:18; 28-31 (NIV)
18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
28God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
1 Corinthians 1:1-9
1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:
3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
4 I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5 For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— 6 God thus confirming our testimony about Christ among you. 7 Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8 He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
1. God can transform any heart.
2. Church is God’s idea.
3. Church is where those transformed by the power of the cross, discover their gifts and put them into practice, participating in a way that helps other hearts be transformed too.
We don’t use our gifts to boast, but to point to Jesus.
- Pray and ask God if there is any area in your life where you are not submitted to Christ. Ask a friend or spouse the same question.
- Find a way to serve.
1 Corinthians 1:18; 26-31
Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
Talk it Over (with friends, a spouse, or connect group):
- What did you find most helpful or most challenging in the sermon?
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:1-9. What do you notice within these verses?
- Can you recall a time, when you served someone else and it impacted you profoundly?
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:18 -31. What do you think the Holy Spirit is saying in these verses?
- Scriptures for Personal Study: 1 Corinthians 1; Acts 8, 9, 10; Proverbs 3:5; 2 Corinthians 3:2; Ephesians 2:8-10; Mark 8:34; Galatians 2:20; Hebrews 12:2; John 12:32; Jeremiah 32:38; Ezekiel 37:27; 1 Corinthians 14:12; Colossians 3:16
Ask a QUESTION!
Today's Worship Set:
*SMILE! Pictures will be taken during our gatherings. Your attendance in the sanctuary give us permission to use your likeness in promotional media. Feel free to email us if you have questions.